Old 03-26-2013, 08:59 PM
BizzieLizzie

I read with interest the title to your post but was not expecting the blocks I saw. Though it is macabre, I am compelled to add my opinions to this already HUGE blog. (I have read most of the posts) To me, the workmanship in the blocks is absolutely fantastic. These blocks would not be for me but I think that people should think of the bigger picture and that is, the creative thought and process involved - NO patterns to copy or to follow for each block. If you have designed a quilt before, you will know that you can draw a pattern on paper but translating the drawing to fabric is not as easy as it may seem. I have done this and I can assure you it is time consuming and depending on the pattern, can be mind boggling. Martina, your talent is really good and I applaud you for your efforts. Thank you for sharing your blocks. I hope that those who seem to have found your blocks offensive/evil will be able to see what I see - the creative process.

With regards to how it depicts horror and scaring children etc. I think that it is up to the adult/parent to protect their own. I have never shielded my children unnecessarily and have always explained things to them such that they have an understanding about what is real and what is not. There is too much out there and I think that a quilt is probably the least harmful of the lot. To each his own, one man's meat is another man's poison.

Let's stay friends as that is what this board is all about. Safety in expression and expression in safety and among friends. One of the rules on QB was that we need to encourage quilters as they come from all walks of life and have their own personal problems to deal with - if we cannot say anything nice, then it was asked that we kept quiet and not hurt the person's feelings. I have always kept this in my mind when posting. Perhaps we need to be reminded sometimes. Best wishes to all on QB.

Last edited by BizzieLizzie; 03-26-2013 at 09:02 PM.