View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 05:46 AM
Wildernessties

I have read the responses and agree with many others that it may no longer be possible to sew. She certainly could try some of the different ideas that were posted but she shouldn't get her hopes too high. She could look at it more as a challenge to work on.

I also agree with the person who said she would feel good if she could help others. If there was any way for her to get names of others in the community who are in a nursing home or who are elderly and very alone, maybe she could send them short notes just to say "hello." If she wasn't comfortable using her own name, she could sign them "your secret pal or secret friend." There are also children's homes, or even children in her community, where the kids love getting mail. Just a couple lines is all you need and kids are thrilled. You can even find plenty of kids knock knock jokes or other clean jokes on the internet that you can print out and add to the letter. I sent them to my grandkids. There are also clean "senior" jokes you could print out to insert in the letters to the elderly. So many elderly feel forgotten and she could be the sunshine in their lives.

There are also lots of chicken soup type books out there that might keep her spirits up. I buy them for my 93 year old mother and have them sent directly to her and she really enjoys them because they are short stories and easy to read. I would be happy to share some titles if you PM me. I get them on Amazon for a penny plus the $3.99 shipping or sometimes I find them on Ebay for even less.

In some small communities, there is a bus that will pick up the seniors and take them to a center for lunch or just time together. I live in a very small town in northern NY and the little bus takes them to the next town for groceries and a stop at the drug store every other week. The driver assists those who have trouble getting around. She might try getting together with others for the commraderie. Or, if she feels up to it, she could invite someone else over for tea. Nothing fancy - just ask them over to chat. Lots of lonely people out there, especially those who are elderly.

I think I've rambled enough. This lady is very fortunate to have you as a caring friend. The suggestion that she join the quilting forum is a great one. There is so very much on this forum. I'm new and still finding more and more "stuff." Good luck to you and your friend in finding just the right thing for her.
Carol