View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 09:44 AM
PJisChaos

Unhappy Last time I swear...

I won't ask any more about this machine as no one seems to know anything. I have figured out how to use it and am almost done with my first quilt to be quilted on it. You can see the original thread here, if ya wanna, : http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...p-t216978.html

I also figured out the stand alone bobbin winder as well, thanks to the gammil(?) video I found on YouTube that is identical to what I have.

I read the description I found on Ismacs but this machine doesn't have any feed dogs and just a single hole solid stitch plate so there isn't any vertical trimmer. I assume this is due to it being setup as a short/mid/longarm..? Not sure which, I haven't measured the harp space.

Ismacs has this to say about it, in case you wonder what I am talking about:
"One needle and gear driven rotary hook. Lockstitch. With vertical trimmer. For stitching and trimming light, medium or heavyweight clothing in one operation. Speed 3500 SPM. Singer suggested replacement 245-4."
I looked up the suggested replacement as well and the description is the same but the machine head does have some slight differences. Were these early versions of a serger, is that what a vertical trimmer means and how it works?
Also, I know I said one question but ya know how that goes. Needle is Organ Size 16, 16x231(2254) DBx1, 287 WH, 14:25(CANU). I have found it mentioned that the DBxK5 is identical to that one, and Schmetz says their equivalent is a 14:25 1. I bought some X(K?)lasse (can't tell which letter it is, looks like open scissors), Serger Type A(16x231, DBx1, 2053) Type A Overlock needles at a local babylock dealer as they said these would work. They are size 80/12. They don't work! Round shank, same length, just a smaller scarf and they refuse to grab the bobbin thread or on that rare chance that it does, the stitches skip and it sews inches without any stitches "locked" due to losing the bobbin thread. I have re-threaded and re-threaded the upper and the bobbin, even wound new bobbins but to no avail! It refuses to snag that bobbin thread permanently so I can sew. So, is a size 16 the only size I can use then? Or are these new needles just not the correct ones?
Any help is appreciated! While I am having fun learning this machine and actually using it(but only with her original setup), I would like to at least find some correctly functioning *alternate* needles close to me and not have to order them online.

Again, thanks! Hope someone can help with something. :-/

*I know I should just be happy that it works at all and use it like it is. However, her thread (tons of it) is really old, dirty and some of it's brittle. I would like to make smaller holes in the quilt than a 16 does, and use my brand new thread collections from Connecting Threads on my quilts. So, thanks again if ya got any info for me.