View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 12:44 PM
jlhmnj

For starters, I'd personally just oil the machine and treadle base according to the owners manual. If it isn't broke I wouldn't fix it. If you enjoy taking everything apart, cleaning, and polishing- have at it, just take pics or notes. The amazing thing about these machines is that after sitting for 50 or 100 years and after only a routine oiling they spring back to life. The machines were abandoned usually before they broke down---they were that well made and designed for one task.
After using the machine for a little bit and adjusting for a good stitch, if something isn't right I'd take it from there but usually all the machines need is synthetic oil rather than whale oil. Good Luck, Have Fun.

Jon

Originally Posted by frudemoo View Post
When you say clean, do I need to take it all apart? I'm not really sure how to clean treadle irons. The mechanism seems to stop when it gets to the point where the wheel is supposed to turn over.. other than that it "goes". I was also wondering if it might have meant I put the belt on too loose or too tight. It's the first time I've done it (so I doubt it's too tight)