View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 06:49 PM
cawsings

Default Storing fabric in old wooden secretary

My husband inherited an old handmade wooden secretary when his grandparents passed away. For the past 5 years it has been a catch-all...and served no real purpose (he really just kept it to please his mother). We are talking about starting a family soon and my husband says I'm "nesting." I've been trying to reorganize the house so that we have more room...and always trying to figure out a better sewing space. So, when showing him all kinds of plans of what he could build for me he suggested fabric storage in the old secretary. It's not the most beautiful piece of furniture and has been altered a few times but I think I can make it work...plus hubby's mom and grandma were/are sewers/quilters so they would appreciate it. Part of the secretary has shelves with a glass door and I plan to wrap fabric around comic book boards.

The only problem is the cabinet smells (as hubby says), "like my grandparents house." I stuck a little bowl of baking soda in there after I cleaned/dusted...do you think this will do the trick? I haven't put any fabric in yet...but plan on working on it in the next few days. Any other suggestions for eliminating odor would be great!!! Thanks!