View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013, 08:44 AM
ptquilts

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
My mother in-law made afghans throughout the years and gave them to many as gifts. This was before I met my husband. When we would visit his nieces and nephews, I saw many in the corners in kennels and cat beds and none on the sofas or even in the rooms. At the time, I did not know that she had made them. I commented (and I can be very blunt) I call it the way I see it. After asking her if she made them for the pets, she said no. I told everyone how I thought it was so disrespectful, they looked at me like I had 3-5 eyes. She also stated she hadn't made any for years. When my DH and I married, I found he had 5 stuffed in a box in the attic. I pulled them down and hand washed everyone so they wouldn't fall apart. When she visited last she told me the stories behind every afghan she made. Ours are displayed openly and in very good shape. They get used often in the cooler weather. I now can put them in the washer on the hand washing cycle. My dogs are using old stained sheets in their kennels. I will one day make them a quilt out of those same sheets with an old blanket that I have. I love my dogs, their just not getting the good stuff. And certainly none of the afghans my DMIL gave my husband. I'm working on a quilt for her as soon as I can get some ideas of her favorite colors. DH wants to help. He actually taught me how to sew.
I still treasure the afghan my great aunt made for me for a HS grad. present (1974). Even though it is getting a couple of holes.