Old 11-09-2009, 12:20 PM
OdessaQuilts

Originally Posted by ctquilter
I have always found sewing patterns to be very confusing and inaccurate. The sizing is way off, fabric amounts are way off... I always end up with something two sizes too big and a ton of leftover fabric. I made a poodle skirt for my daughter's Halloween costume when she was in first grade and I was careful to follow the chart on the pattern because I wanted to have the right size and enough fabric...the skirt was too big even for me (i'm no skinny minnie) and I had a lot of fabric left over, I'm just glad it was really cheap stuff. I've tried a number of other "easy" patterns over the years and have had the same problem so I have given up and taken up quilting because that's easy, it's mostly sewing a straight seam, right??? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :| :| :|
I have a similar story, but in reverse. I don't have too much difficulty in reading and following clothing pattern directions. But in 1975 (fall), I took a HS sewing class. It was a two-hour block and very helpful. I wanted to learn to sew my own clothes because I was always hard to fit (large swayback to contend with, very curvy/hourglass shape, and short). Up to this point, my Grandmother had sewn most of my clothes. Teacher had a MASTERS DEGREE in Home Ec. :roll:

She taught us how to take our measurements and checked everyone's to make sure we did it right. We shopped for our fabrics based on what the pattern told us to buy. We were instructed to purchase exactly what the pattern told us to purchase. If we bought more or less fabric than called for, our grade suffered.

Every day, when we finished up for the day with our sewing, our progress would be checked by the instructor. She would check to make sure we had used tailor's tacks to accurately mark the circles/dots on teh pattern. Notches were to be cut out from the edge line (not in), just as printed on the pattern. Seams were measured for accuracy.

Suffice to say that the pants I sewed NEVER fit me: there was a huge gap at the top of the back waistband because the teacher did not teach me how to allow for my swayback. When I told her what Grandma did to make pants patterns work for me, I was told that her method was "wrong" and that if I persisted in doing it that way, I would fail the course. :evil: :twisted: The pants did not fit at the thigh ... too snug, even though thighs were measured and checked against the pattern, there was supposed to be at least 1" of "wearing ease" in the thigh, and I even skimped on my seams through the leg to give a few extra threads-worth of generosity in wearing ease. The pants never got hemmed because they were not long enough (and at only 5'4" at that time, it was inconceivable to me that they would not be long enough).

I got a C- on the pants: B+ for construction, C for completion ("would have been higher if they had been hemmed" she wrote), D for fit. :shock: :shock: :?: That stung, especially since I was very concerned that these pants were not being made the way I knew they shoud be made to fit my unusual shape.

I had just barely enough fabric to make these pants. Now, my Grandma would have spent a few extra dollars to buy an extra 1/2 yard to be sure I had enough material. If I had taken the pattern to her the pants would have fit, I am convinced. So, you see, even the most educated of us can be misguided in reading/preparing/executing a pattern.

Don't let the problems with patterns get you down. We are a helpful board and we are here to help you be successful!

Glad I'm here, that's for sure! :wink: