View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013, 09:38 AM
cricket_iscute

My sewing room is in the basement, and yellow is my favorite color. However, I knew I would be working on many different fabrics there, and they would provide ever-changing color. So I painted the room a soft cream or eggshell color, and I am very happy with it. It lets the light that is there reflect back, not be absorbed. It makes the space look bigger. It is a neutral backdrop. Any blocks pinned or taped up look good against it. It is cheery enough and a nice space, despite having only a couple of high basement windows.

Lighting? Having explored all types, I found the best solution for a basement sewing room is overhead fluorescents with daylight or Ott bulbs; even shop lights are good. I do have a couple incandescent lights at either end. I also have halogen, but don't find those so useful. I have Ott lights for task lighting over machines where needed.

Speaking of electricity, the next time I design a sewing room, I'm getting hang-down electrical outlets!

Flooring? I installed industrial linoleum tiles in a light color and have never regretted it. However, I did insulate the floor first. Very important. It is also important to insulate walls and ceiling.

Think about electricity. I have a dedicated outlet for one steam generator, heater, or iron and the rest of the room shares two circuits.

Build storage in from the start, and the more, the better. Think vertical but also make it easy to reach. Think of how you work and how you want to retrieve things; that will determine how you should store things. I have deep storage for things I don't need often. I also have fabric storage on 24 inch wide shelves behind sliding doors; very handy. My bookcases have dowels mounted at the top and hold finished quilts. It's easy to move them to get books. My design wall is lightweight and made of rigid insulation; it is easily moved. I have a cedar closet.

We also put in a bathroom next to the sewing room, and what a godsend!

Have fun, and post pictures, please.

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 03-30-2013 at 09:46 AM.