View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 05:17 AM
illinois

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
I know this is not what you want to hear, but I'll give you some Food for Thought on this ......... IMHO when you have such an antique (for real? or recently made, looking as such?) hand worked piece, I would honour it with the handquilting.
I wanted to shout AMEN when I read this opinion. I totally agree. Think of the hours of work put on this quilt. It--and its original maker-- deserves the same care and respect already given to it. Too, I hope this quilt receives some level of caution in use. If the fabrics and threads are older, use it for a display instead of regular use. Even if it is machine quilted the materials are not going to hold up to everyday use. I cringe when I see beautifully hand embroidered quilts machine quilted. It's a thing of following through with the skill. All hand made.

Consider, too, that once an antique quilt top is quilted, it loses its monetary value as an antique. A fellow quilter who also does restoration comments that the age of a quilt is gauged by the latest work put on it. You might decide you simply want to display the quilt top as it is so that the hand work of construction can be seen.

Please, please, please don't machine quilt this beauty.