Thread: Cheating???
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 05:57 AM
Scissor Queen

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
I think that initially when I heard that some people entered shows with quilts that others quilted, I also thought like the OP...but then I realized that you are supposed to give credit to the one who actually quilted the quilt if it was a different person than the piecer. So, if that is the case, then both are given credit and that seems fair enough.

The only reason it seems wrong to many is that if the judging is the "quilting" primarily (as opposed to the piecing of the top), then it seems like the wrong person is getting the ribbon. However, it appears like the judges have figured it all out and seem to cover all the bases, making sure everyone gets the credit they deserve.

The quilting is not the only thing that's judged. Everything from how well the fabrics go together to construction to overall impact is judged. Judges have a whole list of things they go thru for each and every quilt. Each quilt is judged on its own merits then judged against the other top contenders in the same class and then against the top contenders for that section. Then all top section winners are judged against each other for the top ribbons. The judging process is fairly long.

Our fair even has an antique category and you only have to own the quilt to enter it!

To decide someone is cheating based on just wandering thru a quilt show or fair does a real disservice to the quilter, the judges and the show organizers.