Old 03-31-2013, 07:29 AM
Sheri.a

One thing I look for is whether the machine can deal with thin fabrics as well as thick (or multiple layer) fabrics. When my singer died after 20 years at the end of 2011, I went looking. I had stopped sewing, but wanted one for those rare occasions I might need it. I only cared about a good straight stitch, not the decorative or extra features.

I ended up deciding on a Janome 3160 ($550). I decided to go ahead and work on a quilt to make certain if any there were any issues I could deal with them right away. The quilt was queen size (almost 4000 pieces) and it was a joy. I fell in love with this machine and sewing all over again. At the same time I became aware of machine quilting and all of the information available on the Internet. I decided I wanted a machine with a large throat.

Four months (and a bonus from work) later I also owned a Janome 7700 ($2100). I kept my 3160 because I knew I could manage it for classes. I have since quilted two queen size and a lap quilt. I have not regretted either purchase.

But much like the cars we own, I'll keep these until it cost more to fix than buy new (or I trickle down to my kids LOL).

Last edited by Sheri.a; 03-31-2013 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Add prices