View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 12:44 PM
Rose_P

Usually it's a last minute thing because we always have to pay more than was withheld. This year we came to our senses and realized that since the ready money in a bank account is earning interest at less than the inflation rate (!), we might as well hurry up and give it to Uncle Sam in January. DH figured the taxes and we wrote the check. It's actually a load off our minds. No April tax scramble for us, for once.

Which reminds me of the time years ago when I rushed to the post office near deadline and stuffed the tax envelope into the slot. I pushed it in with my left hand because there were so many they were sticking out, and it would make me nervous to think someone could just grab it. As I pulled my hand back I found that my solitaire would not get back past the edge of the slot, so I was standing there for a few seconds, elbow above shoulder level, with my hand stuck! I was finally able to wiggle the ring around sideways so that the diamond was between my fingers and I got out, but it was a pretty embarrassing situation with other late taxpayers standing in line behind me.