View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 03:27 PM
Gannyrosie

First off let me say that being on this board for a short time I have found everyone here to be helpful, friendly, honest with their advise whether good or bad. I think I'm in the middle rang of the age of most of the women on this board (55). Quiet honestly their are not many Guilds here locally in New Orleans,La and if there is I don't have time to attend. With that being said, I have noticed that the Quilting community is largely in the upper states where it was a necessity due to weather conditions. Okay to the point, when I would visit my daughter in Boston for her spring break while in college she would take me around many different places. I remember one day we were riding on the "T" and as I was looking around at the people she looked and me and put her right and left index finger on her lips and pulled a smile. Being from the south we tell everyone hello, we make friends with complete strangers, but my experience in going up North it's not the same. ONe day we were walking around and I told many people passing by "Good MOrning" and you could have sworn I was about to rob them. I am not saying that all northern people are this way, please don't get me wrong. I am saying that people in general who live in areas where there is more inside activity due to weather verses outside activities, they just don't relate to people in general. It's not a wrong thing, you just have to realize where their coming from and I do. I think about them being confined to their homes due to extreme weather situations and they don't venture out unless necessary. When people of that type do venture out and find someone who shares their interest, they set a bond, one of necessity. BReaking that bond or joining it requires some very smart reverse psychology. Next time try to just praise them, not anything more, something like meeting an older scared dog for the first time, let them make the judgement of whether or not you are there to harm them or put them out. You will see a difference. But never, never, never, let anyone's else's behavior change your dreams or needs. Okay I'm off my soap box.
Once again, I hope NO ONE on this board takes my opinion personally. You have ALL been the most helpful group any young or beginner quilter could ever hoped for. Thank you to the Seniors, we need you.