Thread: Cheating???
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 04:21 PM
shirleyd

Originally Posted by soccertxi View Post
Please don't use the word "cheat". Someone told me I was a CHEATER...loudly and often, because I'm a machine quilter and not a hand quilter. Its SUCH a strong word. I was so upset, I cried. Now I'm just angry that I let that man's words cheapen the nice work I do. Everyone has their own opinions I know, but this is QUILTING..not surgery or rocket science. There is a place for ALL that we do. By the way, next time I show off a quilt, and his JAW drops, he might hear that he will NEVER get one of my quilts. And I did not picket his cabinet shop with signs that said he was a cheater because he uses POWER TOOLS instead of hand tools. ....ok...sorry! Off my soap box now...I love it ALL..hand, machine, quilt for hire, do all your own... we need to back ourselves up, not knock ourselves down.
Great come-back about the power tools, and how true. Too bad you didn't actually say it to him but maybe next time! I love to go to Quilt Shows to admire all the amazing and beautiful work people have done, and have never really thought about if it was done by one or two people. But now I'll be looking at that too! I think as long as they have different catagories and specify how it was done, no problem. But people who don't have the resources to hire a quilter or prefer to do it all themselves, start to finish, should also be recognized for their beautiful work and effort. I agree with those who said it's all art in many different forms.