Thread: Cheating???
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 09:27 PM
caroloto

That is sad, the same type of thing happened to my friend's beautiful well made quilt judged last year at our fair, she has shown quilts for several years and has always place 1st or 2nd place. 1st time over the years had I even seen any craft (all sewing) items where this was done, yes notice it in all sewing classes where there were disqualification! Plus it wasn't only quilts at this fair where they disqualifed only in the quilting...I'm thinking it's was the judge/judges they hired. Hopefully this years fair they won't hire the same ones to judge. I think what got me the most about those disqualifaction was some of those entries are done by the 4-Hers they do their best and they own animals which they show at the fair!!!

I would go ahead and enter you yo yo quilt, maybe they hired the same judge/judges that judge here...

Originally Posted by onaemtnest View Post
I've been working on a Yo Yo quilt for the last year and a half. I've made nearly 6000 Yo Yo's from one fabric line designs in pastels, I'm now sewing them to a plain cloth quilt. I felt a king sized Yo Yo quilt would be too much stress on the traditional Yo Yo coverlet individual Yo Yo's. (When I've observed older Yo Yo quilts they typically have come apart where the Yo Yo's are joined so in my estimation a large Yo Yo coverlet sew traditionally would be doomed in short order.

When discussing that I would like to enter this Yo Yo Quilt in the County and or State fair (if it turns out as well as my minds eye thinks it will :0)

I was told last week during quilt week when talking to some 'veterans' who've entered the fairs here.... that the judging is so very strict, if not indeed arbitrary...okay I can follow rules...BUT when I was told that one of the members in our local guild who makes exquisite quilts btw, was disqualified because they found a/or a small amount pet hair on her quilt... really?????? I know this member have visited her very tidy home and by the way she has no pets..... The comment on her entry card was that if she didn't care enough to enter a quilt sans pet fur then it wasn't worthy of judging.

I have two cats and I cannot guarantee that my quilt won't have a pet hair despite my efforts to enter a 'clean' enough quilt for that kind of scrutiny. Please understand I don't leave home looking like Sasquatch covered in pet hair but that story has certainly discouraged my thoughts of entering this quilt, which I think will be somewhat unique.

So this quilt probably won't be entered into the County or State Fair....