Thread: Cheating???
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 10:24 AM
soccertxi

Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
But if you enter a contest and deliberately do not follow the rules (which we cannot verify the person this thread was started about was doing without seeing those rules, they likely weren't) you are CHEATING.

If a quilt show says only a single stitcher, if someone else did your quilting, and you enter anyway, it's cheating.
If you enter a quilt show that asks you to disclose whether you used a stitch regulator, and you did but don't say- it's cheating.

What word would you prefer? Doing something against the rules, on purpose, is cheating.
Seems like I stirred up a hornets nest, haven't I? When I hear the word "cheat", my brain stops listening. I have my hackles up. I am already in defend mode. I hear nothing else after that. The quilt shows that I have considered entering, have not , in my opinion, dealt with this issue fully. Often they consider that someone else has had their quilt machine quilted, and yet never consider the fact that someone has been paid to HAND quilt a quilt. Some quilters would NEVER let their quilt be quilted by someone else, lest it not be "their" quilt. Other quilters consider it "theirs" no matter WHO quilted it. You are correct: if the rules state a single stitcher, you didn't quilt it and enter it as a single stitcher, you have broken the rules. I just wish that strong words like 'cheater', were a last resort and not a first response.