Old 04-02-2013, 05:22 AM
kateyb

I prefer to cut my own jelly rolls. You might want to consider working on your kits or the fabrics you have for the patterns in the books. Your stash will grow as you go. You may discover that a fabric you bought for a pattern doesn't work as well as you thought and it will become a part of your stash. Once people you know realize you make quilts you will be surprised how often you will get fabric and scraps from others. Build a stash gradually. You may want to start deciding how to sort the scraps you have and will receive. Find some ideas for scrappy quilts. There are several on this board. Hit sales at the stores and check at thrift stores. But only buy fabrics you really love no matter what. Just because it is on sale doesn't mean you have to buy. Fabrics you can use for backgrounds are a good choice to start. You will soon discover the types of fabrics you like, they may be brights, pastels, 30's, Civil War, muted, florals, animal, etc. I have found I really enjoy kaliedoscope type quilts so a lot of my fabrics could be used for that and then I have blenders for backgrounds.