Old 04-02-2013, 05:24 AM
orangeroom

For years my mom kept dropping not so subtle hints that she wanted me to make her a quilt. Finally I said 'If you pay for materials.' She did, and as the fabric rolled in, she added up her total cost. She was shocked. I told her we weren't done yet. Had to rent the long arm still and get material for the binding and backing. She's never asked me for another.

I had a friend hint at the same thing. Only she wanted one exactly like the first one I made; seafoam green double irish chain. Um, no. That's special for me. If you want one like it, you take the class, buy the material and make it. She didn't. Eventually she got back to hinting again about a quilt. Told her the same thing I told mom. She had the exact same experience. ~$400 total. She loves her quilt.

She's hinted in the past about quilts for her children. She did pay for one for her dd. I had the material. She said she'd pay for it. Apparently that meant for material only. She said she'd pay for my time too. She didn't. Only for material. After that she wanted one for her ds. Now, I love her like a sister, but everyone has their breaking point. This was mine. Told her the only way she was going to get another quilt out of me, was if she and I did it together. Made her take home all the fabric when we weren't working on it. Ha ha ha! That way she could tell that I was serious and wasn't going to work on it without her. I showed her how to cut the strips. She wasn't the most accurate with the rotary cutter. She learned though. "Oh my gosh, how much work that is...." she'd always say.

However, she's getting married in July and started hinting about the double irish chain again. I just smile at her. Not going to happen. Maybe I should sign her up for the class as part of her wedding gift!!!