Old 04-02-2013, 06:08 AM
weezie

I don't pre-wash. I have done in the past, but in the last few years, I've done so many quilts with either pre-cut fabric or with a huge variety of small pieces, so many that I just quit pre-washing. If I have a suspicion that a fabric might run color, I'll cut a bit off and soak it in water. I love to use batiks for small applique pieces, so I test the dark ones first; some run; some do not. FYI, the French Braid quilt top I made with pre-cut batik strips ... both light and dark ... had some "color runners" in it. When I had the top finished, I "sealed" in the seams with a cheap muslin temporary backing basted all around the outside edges and then washed it with color catchers. The muslin backing turned a rusty brownish, but the top itself came out perfect.

The only fabric I've ever had to shrink is flannel, so I measure and wash that - usually twice is enough - before I use it.

And, no, I don't buy pre-cut fabric any more; once was enough ... I agree they are not cut well and they are way over-priced. The French Braid was a 'one-off'; it was my first attempt to get the perfect blend of colors. I still have a lot of leftover strips to use, though.

Last edited by weezie; 04-02-2013 at 06:20 AM.