Old 04-03-2013, 07:47 AM
cstout

Default Big Stitch Hand Quilting- how many strands of embroidery thread do I use?

This is a great site, I am new here & maybe this question has been addressed, if so, please tell me how you searched to find the info.

Big stitch quiltng is a new concept to me, after all those years trying so hard to get those little bitty stitches, here comes another technique. I have not picked up a needle to quilt in over 20 years & boy was I shocked, my eyesight has gotten really bad, could not thread the needle quickly, stitches were lop sided & just plain ugly.

Searching on the net led me to this thing called Big Stitch quilting..eureka, or so I thought. Bought some embroidery perle cotton in a lovely creme color & a size 5 embroidery needle & to make this long story short, I need help!!!!

First off, I just cut off a long piece of thread & tried to thread the needle with the whole strand....would not thread through the needle. Do I need to seperate the strands of thread? If so, how many strands do I use to quilt with? How do I seperate all those threads without having a rat's nest? Do I need a different needle?

Your help will be greatly appreciated....am anxious to get started hand quilting before it gets too hot here in Tx. Thanks in advance.