Old 04-03-2013, 09:53 AM
cstout

Default Quilting Books - what have you purchased lately??

I just got Carolyn Forster's book from the UK called, "Utility Quilting". Had to pay retail price 27.95 & that was a pretty big ouch for me. Purchased it mainly for the big stitch quilting method & found she just skimmed over topics without going into any detail.

List of contents:

Getting Started Supplies

Preparing to Quilt

Utility Quilting Designs... (this chapter was the largest one), mostly how to create your own utility designs using simple templates & even your elbow for reference. No purchased templates listed at all, which I think she is emphasizing this is another facet of "utility quilting".

The Stitches....samples of different stitches used to quilt & baste

Binding & Other Edge Finish Techniques

Projects...10 simple quilt patterns plus pictures of each & one pattern for a mug cozy.

Overall opinion of the book....lovely pictures of the quilt projects, quality paper. I thought there was some mystique to this thing called "utility quilting". Well, folks, I did not find any thing here that is not already out on the internet somewhere. But I am a book lover, so I fell for the title. In reality, utility quilting is nothing more than trying to get the job done in the fastest method possible & still have a quilt to be proud of.

Ms Forster has another book out called, "Quilting on the Go"...not sure how this differs from "quilt as you go", or if there is any difference at all. Can't find out much about that book. Perhaps someone out here has purchased that book & would like to comment on it.