View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 05:36 AM
pollyjvan9

I am in my 70's and am amazed at the fact that we all share so many memories. This is one I haven't read about yet. I have one brother 15 mos younger, 1 uncle 6 mos younger, 1 uncle 2 yrs older, 1 uncle 4 yrs older and so forth. My mom was the second oldest of 12 children. My brother and I spent summers on my grandparents farm and most weekends. I was usually the only girl in the group and we all loved playing cowboys and indians in the woods, which was about a three block walk across a field. A creek ran through these wood with a swinging bridge over it at one point. The creek banks were steep and there were many "grape" vines hanging from the trees. We played Tarzan a lot (as the only girl I always had to be Jane!) and would swing from those vines across the creek or from tree to tree. I really don't know why there was never a broken bone, but there wasn't. Many memories of those long hot summers, homemade ice cream, finding wildflowers with my grandmother, horseback riding, gathering eggs with my grandma, riding on the plow with my grandpa. I wish my grandkids had such wonderful memories.