View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 06:21 AM
mythreesuns

Now another memory.... my grandfather worked for the county highway department. He lived 21 miles from where the shop was, so they stored all the plow trucks etc at his farm and they even put in a underground fuel tank for his work vehicles. We knew right from the start, we could NEVER enter the shop where some was stored, nor ever touch his work items... so they never had issues with that. I remember coming to stay for a week or so at a time, and us kids would wait for grandpa to get home from work, and we would race down to see who would make it first to turn the handle to fill his fuel tank...or get his lunch box to get at his left over food to eat.. he always had left overs..now we know why he did...back then we didn't.. lol and sometimes we could go to work with him..that was a treat in its self..oh those were my special memories. One time we went to drop off his co-worker who had a farm, and he had baby kitties and I wanted one. So my grandpa made me call my mom at his house to ask if I could have one, and she said yes... I brought all four home, cuz I couldn't decide what one I liked best.. lololol I remember sitting on his lap steering the grader in the dump parking lot.. Now days no way can you take anyone with ya to work for the highway department. My dad was a contractor...owned his own business so we grew up with that also on a daily basis.

My fondest memory of all time... was my grandfather, mother and I building our log house together. From cutting down the balsam trees, to peeling the bark to drying them...to building the entire 42 x 36 foot two story house. My dad did the cement work..basement and all three fire places.. but then he had to keep working to keep money coming in for the new house we were building, my older brothers all had jobs..so it was down to us three..grandma cooked all the meals for us. I sure learned tons those three summers it took us... the worse part was peeling the bark off...sooooo sticky and yukky.... and her house is 100% old style log house...even using wood dowls, no spikes (nails) including my grandpa even made all the windows him self, we started in 1973 and moved in 1976. So I was 11 when we started, and I was using chainsaws, hatchets and etc... would I have allowed my kids...NOOOOOOOOO lolol.