View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 09:04 AM
meldmac

Originally Posted by mooshie View Post
If you bought it it is yours to do with as you please. They can't really stop you from selling items made with the fabric. They can't even really stop you from selling the fabric you bought just as fabric w/o ever making anything with it. I imagine the printing on the fabric is more like the "Not for individual sale" printed on small packaged items that are sold in larger lots. Like the manufacturer doesn't want the business they're selling to to be making things with it after buying wholesale and then re-selling those items. They can't tell the individual consumer what can and can not be done with the item once purchased. I mean, imagine if you made something from fabric you bought, gave it to someone as a gift and that person decided to sell it later online or in a yard sale or even a craft show. They can't go after the person who recieved it as a gift. Likewise they can't go after you. They can not stop their product from being sold and re-sold indeffinatley. They sold it, it's not theirs anymore.

So, the bottom line is, it's yours, you bought it. Do what you want with it. Don't worry.

I hope that made sense.
Just because you bought an item doesn't mean it is legal to do with as you please, that is why there is copyright laws in place. I would be very wary about giving advice that is this generalized, you can go to jail or face a hefty fine by copying or selling things that are copyrighted, or have patent laws in place.

However in the case of selling fabric in a quilt that has a statement to not sell, you would probably be fine. But just buying something doesn't give you the right to do with as you please.

Last edited by meldmac; 04-04-2013 at 09:06 AM.