View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 10:59 AM
quiltingcandy

I hired a lady about 5 years ago. At first she came every 4 weeks - then it was every three weeks and now it is every other week. My husband was giving me a hard time about it in front of friends and his friend asked him which chore he wanted to take over - cleaning the showers and toilets or mopping all the floors? Since we retired he thought it was foolish that I pay to have it done, but I have enough chores to keep me busy - he mows the lawn once every 4 to 6 weeks, might take out the trash once a month. He is not lazy but has other things to do with the youth group, playing in a band on Sunday and the practice on Wed. nights. In 40 years of marriage, he has mopped the kitchen floor once, never cleaned a toilet, and I do believe he vacuumed a few times in those 40 years. No I am not keeping track but I love having someone else do those chores. I do not let her wash our clothes or changes our sheets - haven't been able to give that up - but having her clean the kitchen, bathrooms and dust and vacuum the house is wonderful. I do the light work between her times - usually have her come and do a "Spring" clean once a year - but for the most part it is wonderful.

Tried so hard to get my mother do hire someone, but she said she just couldn't - she would rather it not be done because she was not physically able to clean. I would clean when I would visit, but she lived near Seattle and I live in the southern most part of California.