Thread: 401a
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 12:17 PM
AlaskaAlice

I just a month or so ago won a bid for my 401.. I paid more for it and did not get all the goodies..infact I think the shipper (packer) must have dropped it and a corner of the bed in the back was broken.didn't hurt the function of the machine. It did move but the stitch controls did not move. I cleaned, cleaned and oiled (even found a little bird feather in it) finally after much gentle persuasion I could move the controls. I found even then it would not change the stitches. It was locked up in the stitching bar above the needle. got that loosened up and it works. Still needs a bit more cleaning but everything works correctly and it sews a wonderful stitch. So I love this machine.(I had one like it I bought used in 1958 that is still working)my daughter has it. This one is not as worn as that one. I Did lots of upholstery sewing, heavy sewing as well as light. I have worn out many machines in the last 25 years so I think I got a great deal! but Yours is a wonderful buy! keep cleaning oiling and loosening and you will love her when she purrs for you!