Old 04-04-2013, 02:29 PM
judykay

Originally Posted by judykay View Post
I am a hand quilter and just finished a wedding quilt and wanted a huge heart and feathers in the center as my design. I found the pattern I wanted and took it to a local blue print copy place and had them enlarge it. I then traced my design onto washable interfacing , I used a little bit of glue stick to hold it in place. When I was finished with my quilting I just put it in the washer and everything washed out beautiful. I was a little leary of putting all the interfacing thru the washer so I cut out some of the larger pieces first. It washes up beautiful and you can also find the kind that is tear out if you are more comfortable with that. There are two different kinds, one is sort of plastic feeling on top similar to the press and seal and some are more woven which is what I used.

This post should have said WATER SOLUBLE & not WASHABLE. When finished I cut away part of the larger pieces and put the quilt in the washer and it is completely gone. You can use any kind of your favorite marking pens or pencils and trace the design then put a little glue stick in a few places and lay it on the quilt top. This method was done with hand quilting and is the same interfacing used for machine embroidery but I purchased it by the yardage. Be careful if you do purchase this as there are two kinds and one is plastic feeling like the glad wrap that was mentioned and is a little more difficult to stitch thru.