Old 11-10-2009, 09:00 AM
Scissor Queen

[
I have a similar story, but in reverse. I don't have too much difficulty in reading and following clothing pattern directions. But in 1975 (fall), I took a HS sewing class. It was a two-hour block and very helpful. I wanted to learn to sew my own clothes because I was always hard to fit (large swayback to contend with, very curvy/hourglass shape, and short). Up to this point, my Grandmother had sewn most of my clothes. Teacher had a MASTERS DEGREE in Home Ec. :roll:

Don't let the problems with patterns get you down. We are a helpful board and we are here to help you be successful!

Glad I'm here, that's for sure! :wink: [/quote]

Too bad she was just a home ec teacher and not a real seamstress. Any real seamstress knows patterns are just the beginning. The whole point to custom made clothing is being able to adjust them for a perfect fit. If you're not going to adjust your patterns for a perfect fit you might as well buy pre-made clothing off the rack.

I think it's a huge disservice to teach sewing without also teaching how to alter the patterns to fit perfectly.