Old 04-05-2013, 08:43 AM
Rose_P

Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
If it makes you feel better, I used a red sharpie to mark lines on interfacing, and after sewing them all, I now have a nice red line across the bed of my sewing machine
Teeler is right about the Magic Eraser, but also, it's worthwhile to know that rubbing alcohol will usually remove Sharpie ink as well as ball point ink, especially from hard surfaces, but to some extent from fabric as well, and I've never known it to cause any damage, though it will make the ink spread before it completely comes off. If you see it spread, don't panic because that is the indication that the ink is dissolving. Pour a little from the bottle cap directly on the stain and use an old rag to dab it up.

I tried the Press and Seal, some time ago. I don't remember now why I didn't like it for that, but I agree with those who emphasize that FMQ is all about free motion - not constrained by a lot of lines of any sort. I does help me to have an arc as the guide line for where I want to go with a feather or vine, however, and for that a marking pen is much easier than attaching anything over the top.

For paper piecing, the shorter stitch length make it easier to remove the paper. They punch holes that are much like the perforations on stamps. (It occurs to me that some of you may be too young to remember having perforated stamps! I don't know when the post office switched entirely to laser cut edges.) It helps to run a blunt point along the stitches before pulling the paper off. Also folding the paper back along the stitched can help to loosen it. If you are thinking of using this technique on a quilt, make a test block to see how you like it. Joan Doak's books have detailed instructions on FPP.