View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 10:21 AM
Petey

I took a class with Diane Rode Schneck at City Quilter in NYC - this is the method she teaches. What is good about it is: 1) You copy the pattern onto the back using any marker you like. 2) then you attach a big piece of frabric onto the front by basting it following your design on the back. 3) When you turn it over you can actually see the basting on the front so you know how much seam allowance to cut. 4) I then use a marker that can either be ironed off or washed off to draw a line next to the basting sticth - this way when you remove two or three basting stitches at a time you can see a line so you know exactly where to turn the seam allowance under. What I like about this method is you get the exact same size of the design and it is placed where it should be placed. Not every design you might want to applique can use this method. Right now I am using Karen Kay Buckley's method but using a thick freezer paper ( 2 sheet ironed together), magic sizing, and an iron. If you use this type of applique method a needle nose tweezer is a God send. They can be purchased on line at a sewing store with a a really good notions department. I bought mine in the Garment District at Pacific Trim in NYC.

As many appliquers will tell you - try many methods ... and what ever works for you... Take classes and have fun.