View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 12:10 PM
mckwilter

I sometimes backbaste, but I prefer to use this method with big pieces. I needle turn small pieces, especially if there are several layers (leaves, flower petals, etc.) Instead of pins, I use a glue stick to hold the smaller pieces on the background fabric, but I will only glue 2 or 3 pieces at a time.

I have to admit that the tracing on the back of the fabric is my least favorite part. However, I found out that if your block is 8-1/2" square or smaller, you can either purchase or cut your freezer paper into 8-1/2 x 11" (the size of regular copy paper), iron the freezer paper onto the front of your fabric, and run your fabric through your inkjet printer/copier. The freezer paper stabilizes the fabric, and the design is printed on the back of your fabric.

Another tip I heard, but haven't tried is to machine baste instead of hand basting. Trace the pattern on the back of your fabric, then place the fabric you are going to applique on the front. But instead of hand basting, take it to your machine, lengthen the stitch length and loosen the tension slightly and carefully sew around the pattern. Of course, use a contrasting thread.

I am doing a Baltimore Album quilt and have to do another block like the one shown below. I back basted that fabric by hand. I am going to try machine basting on the second one.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]406392[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails baltimore-album-block-9.bmp