Old 04-06-2013, 07:49 AM
QuiltE
Power Poster

**note** I have not read posts since #2775

Hello Again ... I shouldn't have told anyone (you and others) about my expedition. Now I have to report back! And have been getting emails of inquiry, support, nudging, etc. So for the essence of time I will start here with a group reply for you ladies, and then onwards to any emails later.

OK ... a quick overview ...

I went to both dealers, Tiara and HQ Sweet 16. As far as I could find out, same machine. And the decision would be price and follow up service/support. S16 being the original has the better price, as they are re-selling to BabyLock to sell as Tiara. The HQ dealer has been with HQ much longer, knows their machines better, does on site servicing. Plus from what HQ has a 1-800 support line which has already been helpful to me. BL does not, as far as I know. So, no question to me as to which I would buy. I learned a lot from both.

Price ... I could send a lot of quilts out to a LAQ before breaking even.
Yes, the enjoyment, I deserve it, can't take the money with me can easily outweigh that!
Plus the immediacy and personal satisfaction that I did it all by myself, as opposed to waiting 6 wks or more for a LAQ ... and continue to do smaller items on my 6600.

Two stumbling blocks ...
**sandwiching** ... still a cumbersome awkward process for larger quilts. A LA somewhat does that for you. NO I am not interested AT ALL in a LA. Just a fact of reality and by sending to a LAQ I would avoid that issue.
**computer/laser accuracy** ... that comes with a fully-endowed LA!! I would definitely be doing FreeMQ forever on the S16 and would I be happy with the less so precision than a LA would do for me. Could I ever gain the skills to even come close?

So then I wonder about upgrading my 6600 to the 8900 (2 more inches in throat) and would I be happy?

The dealer I was at on Thursday sells both S16 and Janome. I didn't go between the two then, but I am thinking I should. Also there is another HQ dealer in the opposite direction from me that sells HQ and J, so I could also get their perspective and try both machines within minutes. They also sell Husqvarna, Bernina and BabyLock, but not the Tiara. So could be sure to get myself really confused and have info overload!!!

Now with all this being said ... I have not said how nicely it quilted and how easy it was to use it. I made feathers, and silly me, I didn't bring the sample with me when I left the store. No, they were not perfect, but they were pretty darned good, IMHO, for a starter. I did try their TruStitch (BSR concept) ... and felt I was doing as good or better without. However, that might change with more practice and a better understanding of the how to ... I'm not sure. It is an expensive add-on ... and could be added later for the same price (barring any price increases).

I know I know ... if I don't take care of me, no one else will.
Though I do have to look at this totally in the real world and be honest with the facts!!

I WILL get reading all your input later ... just need to get a few more things done before I can spend much computer time again ................