View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013, 08:48 PM
krafty14

I made my own leaders. My frame came with 11 yards of about 12" fabric. I made my leaders 10 feet long because you can't quilt the last part of the frame on either side. Plus, you want to be able to move the machine to one side to change bobbins, clean the workings, etc. Besides, I don't know if I WANT to quilt anything bigger than 120 inches!!!

Also, my frame and machine set was a demo. They had 8 foot leaders on it. Someone had made them, but they pieced the leaders. It took me a while, but I finally figured out why my quilt wound up tighter in some places than others. The french seams that they used to piece the leaders took up more room than the rest of the leader. So if you are going to make your own, buy enough length of fabric to make the leader without piecing.
My poles have the loopy side of self adhesive velcro stuck on them all the way along the pole. My leaders have the hook side of velcro sewn down one long edge. I adhere the leaders to the poles and then pin my quilt backing, batting and top to the leaders.

Also. There are many videos on youtube that show you how to load a quilt. Take a look! Ann