Old 04-07-2013, 06:55 AM
debcavan
Power Poster

I am so excited for you. I got mine five years ago.

I practiced on "real" quilts not practice panels. You know those quilts that people have that will never be finished because they were "learning" projects. I asked for those from my friends. I got experience and they got a finished project.

One of my friends started her business when she could only meander. Another friend only does large pantos. Edge to edge is where the money is but custom is where the fun is. Most people don't want to spend that much. And a meandered quilt with a neutral color is beautiful. It shows their top and doesn't cost them an arm and a leg.

My best piece of advice: Don't buy "tools" such as rulers until you actually have a reason and need to use them. The exception of course is a small straight edge ruler. Many machines come with them. Small is better than large. You can only stitch on the controlled area. I tried many things right away and "failed" but later when I was use to handling the machine and had the muscles trained in,they were easy.

You will improve and gain muscle memory every time you quilt. In a year you will double your speed. All those things that you have to think about now will become natural.

Oh my gosh, congrats. If I can ever answer a question for you, pm me. I am having such a good time on mine.