Old 04-07-2013, 09:17 AM
Cre8tvlwyr

Dotty - apparently the reason the thimblelady link doesn't work is because I left the "/" at the end of the .com .....uggghhh technicalities! I had shortened the link to the main site, or so I thought, because I was in the middle of reading one of her sections. Try this: http://www.thimblelady.com
It actually put on the forward slash while I pasted it in?? I removed it, but if it all fails, simply google it because it is the right site.

On your sashing requirements... If you are making it the "Jane Way" you will need to cut 392 pieces at 1" x 5" and 196 1" squares for the interior. You have 13 rows of 13 squares with sashing all around - so 14 x 14 for the sides and another 14 x 14 for the tops and bottoms - and 14 x 14 corner stones.

although if you were to be a perfect cutter you could conceivably cut 40-42 pieces of sashing across, I advise figuring at 30 to give you some wiggle room - 392/30 ~ 13 x 6" [a little extra for the height] = 78" [1 1/6yd] You will need very little for the corner stones - 1/4 yard is more than adequate - realistically, you could cut it using the fabric you need for sashing. Now you will need another 48 x 9 for triangles and I imagine about 12 x 8 for either side of the kites - lets say another 1/2 yard here. Then come your scallops! Even if you cut the deepest part 4" - which you wont need - it will take about 320" around [80x80] divide by 4 .... 32" ..... I would say 2 3/4yd is far more than adequate.
I have not finished yet havent looked anywhere to see - but I will say I always have leftover fabric and I always get far less than is stated in patterns.
Gus