Old 04-07-2013, 02:36 PM
adamae

The method I have used for years is : I have four !" X 2" X 8' (or whatever length your space will allow)wooden boards.. Then, I use 4 C clamps. I took strips of cloth the length of the boards and folded it on the width for strength and tacked it onto the boards every 3 0r 4 inches. The clamps , I use to lamp the corners and make it the size of the quilt. Some quilters use a square (maybe from DH's shop) to be sure the corners are square. I have a set of old chairs with slots in the back lean part and I can adjust it in the different slots.. I have placed it over a sofa and other chairs when space was limited. It can be placed over a bed or dining table if absolutely necessary. I have an old house with large rooms so I can leave it up. My friend uses a hoop to hand quilt. It is about an 18 or 24 inch hoop that's has a stand so she sits and it swivels. Very adjustable. Some people merely sandwich the quilt by laying it on the floor and use masking tape to secure it, the pin it or baste it or there is a plastic staple thing ....my cousin uses that method and loves it. I have also used the quilter's adhesive which is repositionable. Once pinned, basted or sprayed one can remove it and lap quilt it with or without a hoop. I have used all methods, but do not care for hoop quilting. Instead of the spray or pinning or basting, one can use Elmer's washable school glue providing you will wash it after you finish the quilt. I have not tried that yet but plan to next quilt. Another frame option is PVC pipe available at someplace like Home Depot or Michaels or quilt supply places. I didn't care for the PVC one. It really is something a person has to find their own comfort zone. If this was too much information or you find another way, please accept my apologies.