View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 06:11 PM
J Miller

Default About machine belts ..........

I am working with a Singer 328K. It has an internal motor. The belt that was on it was one of those amber cogged belts. While the machine sat idle it disintegrated and gummed up around the pulleys at the same time. About all that was left was the cords.
I posted a pic of that in this thread: { http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...k-t217412.html }

I checked with Sew-Classic and her belt page listed the 193077 belt as fitting the 328. I ordered one and installed it. It adjusted about right with the adjusted all the way to the max. If the belt ever stretches there is no adjustment left.
I tried all the belts I had and found one that worked till I got the new one. Don't remember what number it was now but it was an old stretched out Singer factory belt.

OK, I called my LSMG and his books also said the 193077 was the correct one. I took the machine to him and he tried the one he had. Same loose fit as the one from Sew-Classic. We tried several other belts he had and the only one that fit properly was an amber cogged #1514.

~But~, even though that belt fits better, it slips badly. Even when adjusted out so tight you can feel the cogs as you turn the hand wheel, it still slips.
The hand wheel is metal, the motor pulley is plastic. No traction at all on the motor pulley at all.

So, I put the 193077 back on and it works fine, but with no more adjustment.

Does anyone here .... Mizkaki? ..... have an original Singer book that lists this machine's belt number?
There has to be a regular black sewing machine belt that fits this machine. I'll be spending more time on Sew-Classic's belt page, but I doubt I'll find the info I'm looking for.

TIA

Joe