View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 06:44 PM
frudemoo

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Is the needle in right? The curve of the needle needs to go next to the hook. The groove of the needle goes away from the hook. Try that and see what happens.

Does the thread break or just not make stitches?
It picks up the bobbin thread and looks like it's going to make stitches and then it sort of draws the bobbin thread up through the eye of the needle or something. You can go for a good inch or more before noticing there are no stitches and before this thing starts to happen with the thread looping up. The thread doesn't break and it doesn't get tangled in the bobbin case. It's nothing I've ever seen before and therefore I'm stumped!

The other manual I have says to use a system 1738 needle with the long groove facing to the front.
I just happened to have some Schmetz needles that have this number on the packet, but they are round shank. There was a giant (denim weight) flat shank needle in it when I got it but we suspected that this needle wasn't right, however changing the needles hasn't seemed to help the problem, nor has it made the problem worse.

Any clues?