Old 04-08-2013, 09:00 AM
Sew_Silly

Default Need Math Help for "Charming Additions"..... Please!

I think I need to start a new post with my question since I originally replied with a few questions yesterday under a post started by AP&Q in the Pictures forum re: Charming Additions
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
I started cutting squares for this challanging quilt last november.

Even with all the fabric in this quilt it doesn't even start to dent my scraps.

here is the first quarter on the design board. The colors are washed out from the flash and looks very pale but it isn't. Now to sew this part together and see if I want to keep going.
peace.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]397562[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]397563[/ATTACH]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++

I started the cutting for this quilt as of yesterday morning and this will be my first attempt at piecing a quilt...ever! I've done some math but it don't add up to the total number of squares I should need!! I want to go with a 52.5 x 72.5 finished. If I take 52" and 72" and divide each by 2" squares, then I should get a total of 936 squares cut at 2.5"....right? I figured I needed 178 sets of 5, 24 sets of 4 plus 24 singles, but if I do the math and multiply 178 by 5, 24 by 4 and add the 24 singles I end up with a total of 985 squares!!! What in the world is wrong with my math?? I
I've have the assembly diagram and have counted the sets of 5, 4 and all the singles for the size I'm going with.....but perhaps I've gone cross-eyed or need to go back to school!?

Any help very much appreciated!!