Old 04-09-2013, 09:34 AM
margecam52

When sewing templates that are cut on a diagonal, you stager the ends...and they form a "V"...the center of the "V" should be your 1/4" seam allowance.
A good tip for making sure is to cut the template out along the stitching line (no seam allowance)& trace the template with no seam allowance onto the WRONG side of the fabrics NOTE: draw at least 1/4" past the corners of the templates (where the lines cross will be where you match up the two pieces for stitching. Leave at least 1/2" between each piece traced for cutting out the pieces with a 1/4" seam allowance (does not have to be exactly 1/4"). Now, you have pieces with the stitching lines drawn out on them.
As I mentioned above...drawing past the edges or corners of the templates will create a "+" at the corners...the very center of the "+" is what you match up to know where your diagonal seam ends should be.
There are some good tutorials on youtube on this.

Originally Posted by Treasureit View Post
Thanks! That is what I have been doing. I knew Jan was really smart from reading her posts and suspected she had the solution, but I couldn't see it.

Then when a later post said to do a template...I tried that and couldn't figure out how to line it up to sew....then I saw how it had the right angles and looked like 1/2 a kite...that Jan was talking about. So then a made the template double (like a kite) and it works perfectly. I thought Jan had forgotten to add the seam allowance, but she was right again on size.

Sometimes my brain does not think well in abstract and this, for me, is very abstract. Thank you Jan, and all of you...you made me think...made me prove you right or wrong, y trying each direction. I will add a picture of what I have later... have to leave for an appointment.