View Single Post
Old 11-10-2009, 10:47 PM
Sandy1951

Originally Posted by marsye
Thanks Sandy! My dog on the left is also terified of storms and fireworks so I know what you went thru, exactly! They are outside dogs and crating them would be very difficult....one of them would throw a fit. I think he was abused as a puppy and he wouldn't be able to handle that. I'm just hoping someday they will settle down on their own.
Duh, if I'd read your first post more carefully I would have realized you said they're outside dogs, so crating wouldn't be an option. Well, it sounds as though the Melatonin is working. Hopefully it will continue to work and get them through this bickering period and back to their normal loving selves.

I feel so sorry for dogs who are terrified of storms and fireworks. It always took a few weeks to get Keesha back to normal after July 4th. We have a fenced-in yard, but she was always scared to go out after the fireworks were over. I'd have to put her on a leash to get her to go out with me, then she'd be ready to head right back inside as soon as she relieved herself.

Sammy, on the other hand, used to love the fireworks. Well, I don't know that he actually cared anything about the fireworks themselves, but we always had relatives come to watch them with us and he loved the party atmosphere and laying on a blanket in the yard with us at night. The noise didn't seem to bother him at all. But suddenly he changed. One year he was fine, the next year he acted almost as terrified as Keesha. And he's been that way ever since. He wants to be outside with us right up to the time he hears the first boom, then he races for the door. He doesn't become nearly as anxious as she was though, he just wants to be inside. Maybe it's an age thing, as a young dog he didn't mind the noise, but as he's gotten older it bothers him more.

Well, it certainly sounds like Melatonin can be very helpful for nervous or anxious dogs. The only drawback is it shouldn't be used if a dog is on certain medications. I appreciate learning about it. Thanks!