View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 04:42 PM
cathyvv

Default Easy Fat Quarter child quilt

I really have a hard time figuring out how to use fat quarters and stopped buying them because of that. But what to do with the ones I already have?

These FQs popped up while hunting through my stash and when I needed something quick and easy to do. But what???

Well, I liked the scenic fqs used in the quilt center best, so I squared them up and then cut them in half length-wise.

Next, I found some (quite a few) previously cut 2.5 black strips - aka 'scraps' - and framed 4 of them with the black strips. Then I framed 4 more of them, and sewed the two rows together.

Just like that, the quilt center was done!

Some leftover light blue fabric turned up - it worked well with the background of the FQs, so I cut it into 4" or 5 " strips to use as a border. I also used one of the co-ordinating FQ to put owls in the corner.

Hunted down a good sized blue flannel leftover and used it as backing, made the quilt sandwich and quilted it. The quilting is flowers and butterflies, and worked nicely.

Finished size before quilting was 35 x 47.

It turned out cute enough for some little one to love to tatters!
Attached Thumbnails easy-fq-quilt-768x1024-.jpg   close-up-1024x768-.jpg   backing-1024x768-.jpg