Old 04-11-2013, 09:02 PM
cwessel47

I love my 1936 Featherweight. I don't believe I could live without it. Then again, it is the only machine that I use. The only downside I can see is that you will not be able to machine quilt large pieces as the throat of mine measures only 5". But that's why I hand quilt which is my favorite part. Anyone who has tension issues should refer to the manual and fix it - once! After that - you are golden. I have been using mine since the 70's - when my nanny gave it to me. ( Her brand new purchase back then to sew my mom's and her sisters clothes!) I do my own maintenance - rarely, except for the time that it had a short in the wiring and gave me some "Shock therapy" till I had the one ancient wire replaced. I can not sing the praises of my baby enough. And - no - she does not have a name but she is female. I can sew anything with it. Beautiful quilts, flannel jamas, denim knee patches, drapes, upholstery, bags - a workhorse. Love my machine. Since I plan to be cremated - I can't have the kids bury me with it. Better teach someone else in the family to sew so it has a good home!