Old 04-12-2013, 10:00 AM
Sandrea

I love my FW. It was manufactured in the l940's. They are very popular among quilters. Have heard from many that the reason is, that since it has no play in the shaft to sew zig zag stitching, that it was constructed with the straightest line of "straight stitching", best for sewing quilt pieces together. (piecing) The "newer" machines that make the beautiful decorative stitches and zig zag....there is a little bit of play in the shaft in order to accomodate the dec. stitches.....so the FW, designed for just straight stitch, is the best for straight quilting seams. I love my newer models - 4 Janome top of the lines, and 3 Husq. Vikings top or the line, but I also LOVE my little FW....Love to travel with it, and go to classes with it. I wouldn't part with it.......I would sort of predict that one day when they become scarce they may be very valuable. At at time a few years ago, quilters everywhere were scarfing them up and you could hardly find one for sale anywhere. If you have one and don't have to sell it, I would hang on to it.