Old 04-12-2013, 12:36 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by tomodachi1 View Post
Hi: I am considering purchasing a FW a 221 1940, the year I was born. I machine piece and hand quilt, live in a flat that doesn't have very much room, and want something lightweight. I have seen some in excellent condition for about $400-450 from Twice as Nice in Fremont, CA. Would this be a fair price?
Tomodachi
I think it's too high. I picked one up for $75 and here in Canada, and the further north you go, it seems the worse it is, we typically pay much more for machines than in the states. It needed very little work. (Someone had adjusted the pedal improperly so it fizzed and popped and the machine ran on its own, needed a part for the bobbin winder, and bed feet and a belt.) It's not perfect as far as the appearance, but it's still very good (Decals are a little bit worn).

Expect all but a fully serviced machine to need bed feet and a belt. Make sure the bobbin case is there, it's one of the most expensive "parts" you'll have to buy, and watch for ads that say something like "Old Singer Sewing machine" or "Small Singer Sewing Machine" sometimes they even omit the "Singer" from the ad. Both of my sub $100 machines have been from ads that didn't say 221 or featherweight in them.

If you plan to carry it in a different case (like the soft ones discussed above) consider getting one with the case latches cut off. You don't need the key, and the latches won't matter. It seems to really lower the resale value so you can get them for a good deal.

Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 04-12-2013 at 12:38 PM.