Old 04-12-2013, 03:09 PM
Brazen

Question I really need some quilting advice from you ladies!

I normally send out my larger quilt tops to long-armers, but this time I got overly ambitious.... and now feel really stuck. I've done things the hard way, I think.

This top is 84" x 84". I used 500 straight pins to baste it. (I now REALLY regret that decision). I used a natural cotton batting. The back fabric is that incredibly soft/fuzzy Minky. The end result is REALLY HEAVY and the straight pins poke me constantly.

But anyway, I rolled the two sides in towards the middle, leaving the center strip open and ready to start the quilting sewing. I had my son hold the heavy log behind me, to help me feed it thru the machine. I'm VERY inexperienced at this, as I normally quilt crib size down to placemat size, and I've never used Minky before.

When I tried sewing, it barely feeds through the machine, and my stitches are very tiny and close together. I don't like how it looks and am afraid this isn't going how it's supposed to.

Do you all have advice for me on how to proceed? I'm attaching a photo of it still laying out on the floor..... 500 pins and all. LOL! The picture is a little fuzzy, but you get the idea!

Thank you for any help!
Attached Thumbnails scrappy.jpg