View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 10:43 PM
Pepita

I would imagine you are thrilled with your son's giftedness. I guess I think about the family who posted a picture of their 11 yo son who was in camo and had a rifle. Someone on the fb friends called CPS stating that this was child abuse! His father was an instructor for gun safety, and his son had all the courses, and a hunting licence. Not everyone thinks the same. To me this really underlines that whole concept. I have children who were in the gifted program. There are some great things about it and some problems as well. I feel sure that the schools must be doing better each year(--at least I hope so.) I guess my point is I would feel very proud that my son was in the gifted class, but I would encourage him to include others that aren't in it to be friends as well. My son really pressed himself to do well in GT. When he got to 7th grade he was struggling in a couple classes. It seemed that he was gifted in English, and math, but history wasn't his thing. At the time, the program was ALL gifted classes, no exceptions. So when he no longer was getting good grades in the one class, he was taken out of all GT classes. (I thought that was really dumb.} So he went into a accelerated and achedemic (misspelled) classes. He was distraught(his whole social circle was in those classes), until he figured out that he didn't have to work at a grades the rest of his jr. high and high school years. Just be careful.