Old 04-13-2013, 08:09 AM
justflyingin

Default Finished that scrappy "burgoyne surrounded" in king size 1.5" strips/squares mostly

I finished quilting it and then bound it this morning and got the kids to hold it up right after lunch. They are standing on a trampoline--each teen is over 5'10" and holding it up as high as he/she can (three teens). It's 112" square.

I made it for a retired pastor and his wife. The story is like this: I made a smaller version of this quilt and put it on my FB page and this lady (a friend, and a friend on FB) had indicated an interest in one such as this only in king sized.) I just laughed and then thought about and decided to attempt to get it done before we head back to the states for my son's wedding in May. We will be in KS, where they live and in their church. Their church has supported us all the years we've been in Poland. They have always lived a conservative (I'm talking about financially) lifestyle and I am sure that they would never have the funds to buy such a quilt. She mentioned trying to find such a quilt in the Mennonite community around her. I have no idea what such a quilt would cost, but probably quite a bit.

Anyway, the quilting went pretty smoothly on my Horizon 7700 and I was thankful for every single inch of space in the harp. I also am grateful for watching some youtube videos on quilting large quilts which helped me psychologically.

Someone suggested making 2 matching shams. Does someone have any advice or guidance or recommendations for such a thing? I'm willing to try.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]407759[/ATTACH]

I took the pattern from a book called Burgoyne Surrounded by Elizabeth Hamby Carlson and adjusted it for my needs. I learned that the Burgoyne surrounded pattern is actually a classic pattern--something I didn't realize before I did this quilt.
Attached Thumbnails king-sized-burgoyne-surrounded-scrappy.jpg  

Last edited by justflyingin; 04-13-2013 at 08:25 AM.