View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013, 01:21 PM
teacherbailey

Originally Posted by Wendys Quilts View Post
my son is six years old and just started kindergarten. He has come home several times saying he was bored. We made an appointment to have a conference with his teacher this past December. She told us that she would like to have him tested for gifted. We agreed. We finally had a conference with the physiologist, his teacher, the ES teacher, and another ES teacher. They handed us the paperwork and it said my son scored Significantly Above Average with a score of 153 and was in the 99.98 percentile. (not exactly sure what that means??) He will now be able to go to a gifted class one day a week to be challenged more. Which we are very happy about.

He was able to read a little bit before he started kindergarten. But now his reading level is almost a fourth grade level. And he understand what he is reading, he is passing the tests that they have given him on those books he reads. so, he is comprehending what he is taking in. I dont know if that was any indication of him being gifted, but sure as heck makes me proud a mama

I would love to post this on my Facebook page, but my mom is like, "you might be careful. I might lose some friends if I do". What do you think? Should I post it on FB or not? There are people that post how their kids are doing and awards that they get. Is there any difference with this?

Wendy

That 99.98 percentile means that he scored better on <whatever test they used> than 99.98% of the kids his age who took it. Something to be proud of! I think I'd leave off the numerical details and just announce that he's earned the right to take a special enrichment class one day a week this school year based on test scores. Here's why: When I was about 10 or 11, I ran across my IQ and my brother's. His was several points higher than mine and I was crushed. I shut down academically, thinking I was DUMB.....many, many years later I realized as I was finally in college to become a teacher in my 30's (it took me that long to convince my dumb self to try college) that first, I have a decently high IQ and second, the point difference was small enough that it statistically didn't matter. It could have been the difference between his having a good day testing and me not. AND------IQ scores need to be compared at the same age and from the same test---if compared at all----and that isn't what happened. I realize that your son doesn't read the quilting board so I hope he hasn't seen all of this....but please be careful. IQ is, in my opinion as a Master's degreed teacher, far over-used and over-talked about. A happy well-rounded kid who isn't bored is far more important!