Thread: Irons
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2008, 05:58 PM
stay-at-home

Originally Posted by Tiffany
Originally Posted by stay-at-home
tiffany- what are berries witht he mylar washers??? so curious.
Jeanne
Berries, grapes, anything circular can be made using mylar washers. They're heat tolerant plastic circles and you basically baste the fabric around the mylar washer and pull the basting stitches tight, then spray the holy heck out of it with spray starch or magic sizing and then set it with the iron for 30 to 60 seconds. Let cool (obviously) and then gently loosen the basting stitches, remove the washer, and retighten the basting stitches. Touch up with the iron if needed. These produce the most perfect circles and is the number one way most professionals are doing their circles now days. I've included a picture to show what type of circles you can make. The block is by Beverly Hindman, a national applique instructor. (Must give credit!) I have mylar washers that will do miniscule berries and circles of up to 2 inches across. If you cannot picture it let me know and I'll go downstairs and take a picture for you.
~Tiffany
what a terrific idea. thanks for sharing. now the obvious question - are these washers from the hardware store or the sewing store??